CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 4, 2008

Free? I Think Not!!!

August 1, 2007 is my first documented run. I began with a one mile 15 minute jog. I am not an athlete and never have been. Let me tell ya...that one mile took everything I had in me. So, I got through a week of jogging and thought...hmmm, I wonder if I could do two miles?. It's history from then!
I loved it and running became my new found hobby.

I was so excited about my new "free" hobby. I thought of the benefits, it's free, it's "me" time, the health benefits drove me to run more and did I mention FREE!! So, I thought.

Holy Moly... this has been an expensive drive! Let me just break it down to you real quick.


1. Garmin GPS watch- $128 (I payed this with my garage sale money)

2. Two pairs of running shoes- $155 (important to know what type of shoe will be needed, more info to come)

3. Cute running clothes- approximately $300 ( Hey, I gotta look cute out there, right?)

4. ITB Strap - $16

5. Doctors co-payments- $20 ( Yes, I have hurt myself to where I've had to get over my stubbornness and get my knee checked out)

6. Beginning next Monday, Physical Therapy- $$$??? (who knows how much I'll need)

I am signed up to do a 1/2 marathon next Sunday the 13th and not sure if I will be able accomplish this goal I set out to do four weeks ago. Last week I ran my 10 mile run and felt great and so amped that I had completed it. I had a day of rest and out I was the next morning for a five mile sprint. I didn't make it to the three mile mark, my knee had given out and had to walk the rest of my route. Oh, I was so ticked and disappointed. Stubborn me thought I could give it a few days of rest and just cross-train and then complete my scheduled 12 mile run with Liz. Poor Liz had to walk with me back home after a two mile run. My knee just couldn't take it, my run was done for the day. She and my husband convinced my to go get it checked out. Nothing damaging has been found, so, hopefully with a few physical therapy sessions next week and a few prayers, I just might be able to accomplish my race. I may come in last, but, I so want to finish!

Note: If you are thinking of picking up running in the future, I truly recommend going to Gallagher's to get fitted for the right shoe. I learned that I was an over-pronator. This requires a certain type of shoe. They did a wonderful job in helping me with this. I'm guessing that having the wrong type of shoe has something to do with my ITB Tendinitis. If I had only listened to Jessica!

Wish me luck!!!

12 comments:

Angela said...

Nice work Ona!
And I am laughing at all the fees. That sounds pretty familier, but I do not have the watch. I might have to look into that! :)
I have been missing you!

Valerie of Momia said...

Wow! You've really come a long way since your 15 minute mile! You are inspirational! (Not saying I'm taking up running, though!!)

I'm praying for you. Don't torment that body too much!! You only get one! ;)

Happy McNally Mom said...

Good job girl. You are my hero.

Unknown said...

You GO girl! You are so committed to continue trying your long runs through the pain. I saw you and Liz on New Year's Day and tried to whistle at you...but I'm a terrible whistler and you didn't hear me. Good luck at Physical Therapy on Monday, I hope they can help you complete your race. Just remember, though, if you can't make this race in January there are more 1/2 marathon's around here you could do. I trained for 3 months before I ran a 1/2 marathon, you've only been training for 4 weeks...cut yourself a break!!

Side note: I HIGHLY recommend Gallagher's as well. I have purchased several pairs of running shoes with their advice and have never had any serious problems.

Sharon said...

I am amazed and inspired that you started with a fifteen minute mile back just 5 months ago and you're already up to ten miles! That's incredible~maybe there's hope for me yet! And, yes, Gallager's is great~they totally analyze your gait and tendancies. Once upon a time I was a runner. I need to get back into the game!

LizzyG said...

Sharon - Eugene 1/2 marathon on May 4th. Join us!!!

Ona - I tried to tell Jon I need to go to the outlet store to get my Nike perfect fit long pants for the 1/2 mar. and he just laughed at me and said, "are 6 pairs of running pants not enough?"

It's never enough! Right Ona? :)

I sure hope we can stand on that starting line together next Sunday! If not, no worries, I have a feeling we are going to be running many more together, even when we're old ladies!

Rachel said...

I love the free sport you started! I am sorry you have an injury right now, but I'm impressed you keep trying. A lesser woman would have given up! And I'm with Meghan, you have lots of time to do the 1/2 marathon when you're all fixed up!

Valerie of Momia said...

Thanks for the note about the shoe store. I'm going to check them out for my next pair! :)

Valerie of Momia said...

Thanks for the note about the shoe store. I'm going to check them out for my next pair! :)

momaof4 said...

Great info on the shoes. Back in the day I liked to run. Now it would just be a super scary site! But hopefully one day again. Glad to know about the show thing as we get older too!!!

Lindsay said...

That is so awesome and inspiring. I have been running (if you can call it that) and although I'm still so slow, I agree with you that is is wonderful "me" time and so good for me too.

GOOD LUCK in your 1/2 marathon! MAYBE someday I'll get there :)

PS-Yes, I do remember you! I meant to leave you a comment earlier! Tell Janell "hi"

Michelle said...

Ona... I am friends with Angela and have been getting to know Liz via the blog world.... I was just reading about your need to be fitted for good shoes.

I just wanted to thank you for this post... because I just started to run myself, and I have the WORST shin splints. My husband keeps telling me to go get new shoes, but I hate to spend money on myself. This is supposed to be "free", right?

I also just read your post about church... and I just want to encourage you (like the others) to plug into a small group... it has been lifechanging for me!

Blessings on your walk with Jesus and your running!